Welcome to the Harbor Springs Middle School!
We are excited about the educational, co-curricular and individual growth opportunities that our learning environment provides for each of our students, and we welcome your participation in what is sure to be a great school year.
Harbor Springs Middle School consistently scores above state and ISD averages on standardized tests. Our students accomplish this while also taking advantage of a wide variety of exploratory classes, including Physical Education, Computers, Spanish, Tech Ed, Band, Choir, Drama, and Debate among others. Our co-curricular opportunities, including Math and Science Olympiad, Spelling and Geography Bees, Math Counts, Student Council, and a comprehensive sports program, provide further richness for our students. Learn more about our program offerings. 13-14 Middle School Student Handbook
While we have great class offerings, the most up-to-date technology, and a wonderful, state-of-the-art facility, it is the community of people here who are committed to the success of every student that makes the Middle School really special. We have a highly qualified, dedicated staff that strives to provide the best possible education for all students. Parents and community members are supportive and involved as we work to meet the unique developmental needs of young adolescents. Harbor Springs Middle School truly is a special learning community focused on the success of each student.
It is our pleasure to serve and educate you and your family. Please call or stop by the school if you have any questions or would like to learn more about our programs.
If you would like to learn more about the educational needs of middle school students, I encourage you to visit the National Middle School Association website at www.nmsa.org. Of particular interest is the position paper titled “This We Believe: Successful Schools for Young Adolescents.”
A Summary of a Position Paper National Middle School Association
March 7, 2014
Office Phone: 526-4700
Attendance Line: 526-4770
2012-2013 Annual Education Report
2013-14 HSMS Parent/Student Handbook
March 11th ~ No school for students ~ Teacher In Service
Spring Break March 28th-April 7th ~ School resumes April 8, 2014
Photos for our Yearbook: We are hoping to reach parents who have team or other school-related shots they might share before the end of this month. Please email photos to email@example.com :
- In the subject line of any emails concerning the yearbook, please write "2013-14 HSMS Yearbook" and include the specific type of photos (or other) you are sending. For example, "2013-14 HSMS Yearbook / 7-8th Grade Band."
- Please identify the faces in the photos of individuals, small groups, etc., whenever possible.
Thank you very much!
8th Grade Parent Mexican Dinner Planning Meeting! The Mexican Dinner fundraiser for the 8th grade trip is two weeks away! The Parent Planning Committee will be meeting on Tuesday, March 11th at 6:30 pm in the Large Group Meeting Room. If you cannot attend the meeting but are planning to help on the night of the dinner, please contact Erin Fortune at 231-838-3470 to sign up for a shift.
Be Alert Texting Service for Parents and Students! Harbor Springs Public Schools is pleased to offer you the opportunity to sign-up for emergency texting communication service for snow day closings or other district-wide announcements. The name of this texting service is called Be Alert and we encourage you to sign-up (it’s free!). If you sign-up you will be notified via text message of any school emergency. The most common usage of this service will be snow-day alerts. In order to sign-up go to the Harbor Springs Public Schools district web site and see the sign in link to Be Alert, along with a short You-tube video that provides info on how to sign up.
Middle School Glee Club Get those pipes working! Join the Glee Club. We need more middle school singers! We will meet in the Shay music room starting March 5th and every Wednesday thereafter from 3:15-5:00 pm. The sign-up sheet is in the office. Students will perform at the Middle School Talent Show on April 17 and at the GIVE Celebration on May 21. Any questions call Mrs. Furstenberg at 242-0888.
Harbor Springs Little League: Registration for Minor, Major and Junior baseball and softball leagues will be held on Wednesday, March 5th and again on Wednesday, March 19th from 3:30-6:30pm at the Harbor Springs City Hall. A third registration will be held Saturday, March 15th from 9:30-11:00am at the Harbor Springs High School Cafeteria. Registration may be doen through the mail or at any of the above dates. Forms may be picked up at any of the school offices. Registration deadline is March 21st.
Harbor Springs Youth Baseball Clinic: Intensive training and practice to improve the skill set of developing baseball players. Any 5th-8th grade baseball player interested in furthering his overall baseball skills may sign up. Clinic is March 15th from 10a-2p at HSHS Gym. $20. Per player. See attached sign up sheet for more information. Youth Clinic Flyer
MS Talent Show: Start planning your acts now! The show is April 17th. Sign up coming soon.
Mexican Dinner: ATTENTION 8TH GRADE PARENTS! All 8th grade parents need to please bring a dessert to the Mexican Dinner. It can be a cake, pie, cookies, brownies or any family specialty. Just bring the dessert, you don’t have to cut or plate, the dessert committee will take care of that.
We need to borrow colored Christmas lights for the occasion. Label them with your name and drop them off in the office.
MS/Shay Ski Club: Things are winding down but want to get the last few dates in. If you would remind students we would greatly appreciate it! This Fri. night March 7th Nubs will be providing free hot dogs, fries and a soda for all that attend. Next week is our final day party on the hill. Please note that the date on the original paper work is not correct. The correct date is Tues. March 11th from 12:30 - 4:30pm. We have also added another day as a last minute "just for fun." It will be Sat. March 22nd from 12-4:30pm. This is during Mardi Gras so it will be fun! Kids can get another time skiing in at club rates. They can enjoy! Dress up if they like or just come out and join the fun.!!! Thanks again to all of you who help support us with the ski club!!!
Sixth Grade Ski Day Friday, March 14! Parents, your students received permission slips and information pages today for this sixth grade adventure. Please look for these in your students’ backpacks. Please fill out the liability forms and skier information that’s in the packet and return as soon as possible. If you’d like to chaperone the event, fill out the chaperone forms in the packet. A huge thanks to Boyne Highlands for providing this day for us!
LTBB Drum Social: Monday, March 10th 5:30-8:00 at LTBB Government Complex. Please see attached flyer.
Harbor Springs Farmer’s Market—at the Middle School Every Saturday! Did you know that the Middle School is the winter home for the Harbor Springs Farmer’s Market? Stop by the Middle School on Saturday mornings to get your fresh local breads, meats, veggies, and sweet things!
New Winter Programs at The First Tee: Taking place on Thursdays from 4-6 pm starting January 23rd at The Bartley House located at Boyne Highlands, this program will run for six weeks and will focus on The First Tee Life Skills experience and the game of golf. For more information or to register, contact John Myers at (231) 526-3168.
Study Hall! We are pleased to see so many students working with Mrs. Hayhurst during our after school study hall. This is great opportunity for your students to get the extra help they need to succeed. If your student needs academic support, consider having them attend study hall from 3:15 to 4:15 every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Study hall only takes place on full school days—not on half days, holidays or snow days. If your student needs additional instruction, or he or she is unable to get homework done at home, then please have them attend Study Hall!
"Food 4 Kids" is a program sponsored by Manna: If you are in need of healthy snacks and meals for your child(ren) and would like to receive assistance, please contact Megan McShannock, MS Counselor at 526-4756.
Cartographers and dead-reckoning navigators all around the globe celebrated the 502nd birthday of Gerardus Mercator on Wednesday. What did Mercator do that would give cause to celebrate his contribution to how we look at the world?
- Sign Up to get the Weekly Memo: Each week we e-mail a Middle School Memo that includes information on academic, athletic, extra-curricular, and community information for middle school students. We would like to have EVERY parent sign up to receive the Middle School Memo. To get on the e-mail distribution list, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you were on the list last year and your e-mail hasn’t changed, there’s no need to sign up again. If you do not have reliable e-mail, call Vicki Mathews at 526-4700 and request a printed copy of the memo for your student to take home each week.
- URGENTLY NEEDED ~ Student Data Verification: Please take a few moments to review and edit (or complete) this form and have your student bring it to his or her first hour teacher on the first day of school. This information is essential to our ability to contact you in case of an emergency. Please return this form even if there are no changes! This is very important!
- Grade Level Information: Specific grade level information has been included for your student. Please review this with your student before the first day of school.
- Parent Volunteers: Parent involvement is essential to a quality education. We like to have a parent presence in the Great Hall in the morning, during lunch, and after school. Teachers will periodically need parents to help in the classroom. Throughout the year we will need chaperones for dances, field trips, and extra-curricular activities. If you think you might be able to volunteer this year, please complete both the Middle School volunteer interest form and the district volunteer release form and return them to the Middle School office at your earliest convenience. HSMS VOLUNTEER SHEET 2013-14 HSPS Volunteer Release Form